As consumers demand more accountability for the quality of their foods, the Safe Quality Food (SQF) Program enables food suppliers and manufacturers to meet that demand by providing a rigorous, credible food safety management system that is recognized by retailers and foodservice providers around the world.
SQF is administered by the Food Marketing Institute (FMI) and is one of only five standards accorded by the Global Safety Initiative, a Brussels-based international accreditation program. The program benefits from continuous retailer feedback about consumer concerns and passes it on to SQF-certified suppliers, enabling them to stay ahead of the curve.
In 2016, Capitol City Produce® became SQF certified, receiving Quality Code certification with an “excellent” rating under the stringent SQF 2000 Standard for our Comprehensive Food Safety and Quality Management System.
This means that we maintain one of the most rigorous food safety and quality programs in the industry. Of course, we already knew that. But obtaining SQF certification means that now, our customers do to.
Third-generation owner and CEO Paul Ferachi is proud of the certification and believes in the investments made to ensure it was achieved. “Our daily practices ensure our rigorous commitment to providing safe, high quality produce to our customers,” says Ferachi. “This certification demonstrates the commitment to exceed food safety and quality standards and our strong commitment to our customers.”
SQF certification is achieved when a company demonstrates exceptional quality control and food safety practices. A third-party audit is conducted by a qualified inspector to evaluate different aspects of a company’s food safety program, including: personnel practices, plant maintenance and cleanliness, Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) plans, and food safety programs. It provides validation to many national and international retailers and food service providers that a company has food safety programs in place and that those programs are followed. SQF is a globally recognized certification as a food safety management system and is administered by the SQF Institute.
The facility will be audited annually to maintain the certification.
For more information on SQF, check out their website HERE.
What does it mean to be SQF certified?
- SQF is benchmarked to the Global Food Safety Initiative. This means that companies that are SQF certified have some of the best food safety programs in the world.
- A GFSI audit certificate is required to sell to some of the world's largest stores and restaurants (Wal-Mart, Whole Foods, Costco, Darden Restaurants, McDonalds, Target among others).
- certificates are accepted globally. Strict requirements are in place for SQF Practitioners, so you know the people managing the SQF system are highly knowledgeable in food safety and quality
- SQF audits are performed by very well trained and licensed SQF auditors. Companies who are SQF certified have had their programs scrutinized by some of the world's most experienced food safety experts.
- Checks and balances are present throughout the audit process to maintain the fairness and integrity of the SQF Certificate.
- SQF programs help streamline companies and make them more efficient.
- SQF programs help ensure that product coming from SQF certified suppliers is safe and of the highest quality
If you have any questions about this, please do not hesitate to reach out to our Director of Special Projects, Terreca Bates-Wells, at 225-408-3524.
SQF Audit 2020-2021